"Fake News" and the 1st Amendment



DS9: "A Time to Stand" s6ep01

For those of you who know this episode, I know that the conversation is much longer than this quote, but I think it sums it up well.

Trump and Weyoun have the same idea about what news should be published.  Or in Trump's case, since he has no control over what news is published, what he defines as "fake news".

I have never lived in times that I had to worry about political bullshit. I do now.  And one of the reasons is that we as individuals and a country do not agree on what is true. I don't know that this started with Trump and his "fake news", but the result is that this may not be a hurdle that we as a country can overcome.

It has gotten worse since Trump was voted out of office.  We should never forget January 6, 2021.

Does Twitter deleting someone's account because they repeatedly broke the platform's rules really infringe on an individuals free speech?

I don't think so, particularly when the content of a person's tweets are not only false but a direct danger to our democracy.  

I may be wrong.  I consider that, because it is important that I be honest with myself about my biases. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose

CONSPIRACY: TRUMP IS THE HOSTILE LIFEFORM

DS9 Babel : Pandemic on a space station